Charles and Libba Anderson recently won a preservation award from Historic Augusta. They enjoy time in the tea room where she grew up.
The tea room has been in Libba Anderson's family since 1959. It was remodeled to keep the walls and original room line intact.
Schoolhouse William Robinson located at 2349 William Street in the Summerville Historic District. Designed in 1927 by well-known architect Willis Irvin, this once vacant school building has been successfully rehabilitated into luxury condominiums and has also received LEED certification. Receiving the awards were Braye and Clay Boardman of WR Investments LLC, developers of the project.
Roessler Grocery Store, 222 Second St., built 1917, and owned by John P. Hitchcock. Located in the Pinched Gut Historic District this certified rehabilitation project, which includes commercial space and residential apartments, encourages the continued reinvestment of the Olde Town neighborhood.
Sutherland Mill, 720 St. Sebastian Way, and located in the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area, was built in 1886 and is owned by WR Investments LLC, Clay Boardman, President. This successful LEED certified rehabilitation has transformed this large industrial building into medical offices easily accessed by the recently completed St. Sebastian Way extension.
The Wallace House, Augusta Country Club, 655 Milledge Road. I n the Summerville neighborhood, this sensitive rehabilitation removed the non historic aluminum siding and replaced wood shake siding that was discovered underneath. The Wallace House was designed in 1927 by Willis Irvin and originally served as the golf shop for the club.
The Green Building, 1019 Broad Street, built 1932 and located in the Augusta Downtown Historic District, owned by Beacon Blue LLC. Mr. Braye Boardman received this preservation award for this transformation from a largely vacant commercial space into ultra modern office space with a LEED certification.
Hallock Cottage, 1303 Hickman Road, built 1897, located in the Summerville Historic District, owned by Paul King of Rex Property and Land LLC. Listed on Historic Augusta's Endangered Properties List for 2010, this Queen Anne Cottage has been rehabilitated into a single family home with a separate small cottage in the rear. Currently on the market, this rehabilitation has positively impacted this area of the neighborhood which has experienced instability in recent years.
The Confederate Powderworks Chimney at 1717 Goodrich St. , and designed by C. Shaler Smith in 1861. It was deeded to the Augusta Canal Authority with project management overseen by Brig. Gen. E. Porter Alexander Camp No. 158, Sons of Confederate Veterans. Situated in the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area, and work to restore the chimney was completed in March 2010.
The original tea house of Salubrity Hall at 729 Montrose Court and owned by Charles and Libba Anderson. It was designed in 1927 by the Augusta architectural firm of Scroggs and Ewing. After purchasing the house in 2009, the Andersons have carefully preserved this original private teahouse and incorporated it into their main home.